Logo Kenrock Community Center

Logo United Way Agency

3218 11th Street
Rockford, IL  61109

815-398-8864
FAX: 815-398-8220

Mr. John Guth, Executive Director

mrkenrock@kenrock.org

Activities:

| Bingo|| Senior Services| Special Events|
 l
After School Program| Summer Recreation Program

Sports:

 Football Slow Pitch-Softball Basketball | Indoor Soccer | Tiger Tots 
 Rising Stars Classic | Team Sports Programs Rockford Wildcats Basketball 

Education:

|  Classes For a Fee l University of Adult EducationChildren's Learning Center

Other:| Volunteer Awards | StaffHome |History|Donate |Testimonials
|Board of Directors l Volunteer Opportunities

Come join us . . .there's a neighborhood inside!

History of the Ken-Rock Community Center

   

The Ken-Rock Community Center began as a Junior League project over 50 years ago.  With the help of experienced staff and dedicated volunteers.   Ken-Rock has grown into an established center.  Ken-Rock's mission of "People Enjoying Positive Opportunities" has been realized by quality recreational social service and educational programs provided to citizens of all ages.
1930    Junior League of Rockford's first service project was construction of 4-room building at 2905 Bildahl Street
1936    First addition to building completed.
1940    Name changed from Junior League House to Ken-Rock Community Center.
1948    Center becomes full fledged member of the Community Chest.
1950    Center becomes incorporated as a not-for-profit organization.
1951    Second addition to building completed.
1953    Junior League of Rockford deeds building and grounds to Ken-Rock Community Center Board of Directors.
1954    Ken-Rock begins operation of Sabrooke Community Center in Nokomo Heights House Project (Orton Keyes).
1963    Third addition to building completed
1970    Mortgage Burning Ceremony.  Center is now debt free.
1971    Fourth addition to building completed
1975    Approval given by National Lock co. for use of 40 acres for 19 ball diamonds.
1976    Ken-Rock begins operation of Blackhawk Community Center in Blackhawk Housing Project.
1977    Submitted application to Rockford Community Development Department for funds to acquire and renovate Morris Kennedy School
1979    City of Rockford deeds former Morris Kennedy School to Ken-Rock Community Center
1980    Ken-Rock Community Center programs and services move to new location at 3218 - 11th Street.
1985    Elco Industries provides 16 acre field to be used as 12 softball diamonds for Ken-Rock.
1986    Ken-Rock Elderly Apartments, Inc. a 31 unit elderly apartment complex opens.
1988    Rockford Park District & the Rockford Public School dedicates Don Schmid. New name The Don Schmid Youth Sports Center
1995    Capital Improvement Grant provided by the Rockford Park District provides funds for the renovation of The Don Schmid Youth Sports Center into a first class softball recreational facility
2001    The Ken-Rock Center began a partnership with the Little Peoples Place Day Care that will host over 90 children daily.  Also, a $170,000 capitol improvement project began to renovate the facility.  Upgrades that were accomplished were new plumbing and bathroom fixtures, brand new gymnasium floor, central air condition in the banquet facility, new roof and the building was completely rewired. 

Another partnership was formed with the Rock River Valley Food Pantry.  As Ken-Rock will be an emergency service provider of food on Saturdays.  The only weekend provider in the city of Rockford.

2008    Ken-Rock Community Center sold the building to the Our Lady of Sacred Heart Academy and downsized to become financially solvent for the future. Ken-Rock resides in the building in the south wing of the first floor and continuing the quality programs and services.
 
 2010  Finalist for the Rockford Register Star's Excelsior Award
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Ken-Rock Community Center  ©2004-2009